Lets talk Teen Nutrition 🍎🥦
This essential period of growth requires key nutrients for your child to reach their optimal status of mental and physical functioning!
Do you know the top 10 Nutrients for Teens?!
In no specific order…
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Unsaturated Fat
Nutrition is important during adolescence for growth and development! 🥑🍒🌱
Follow along as we discuss each of these important nutrients for adolescents!
Starting off with Calcium
Teens need Calcium for bone growth & development!🦴
Here are some AWESOME plant-based calcium sources to ensure your teen is getting enough🥬 🥜🥛🥗
- -SEEDS: sesame, celery & chia seeds (also provide omega 3 fatty acids which help reduce inflammation)
- -BEANS: most beans have some calcium! Beans providing the most calcium include wing beans (24% of RDI) & white beans (13% of RDI). (Beans & lentils are also high in fiber, protein & provide iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium & folate).
- -ALMONDS: provide 8% of calcium RDI. (Also provide protein, fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, manganese & omega 3 fatty acids).
- -DARK GREEN LEAFY VEGGIES: Broccoli, kale, spinach, collard greens & rhubarb
- -FORTIFIED FOODS: (this just means processed foods, in which calcium has been added). This includes breads, tortilla, crackers & cereals. Make sure to read the nutrition panel & ingredients list! These products may be high in sugars, oils & preservatives.
- -SOY & EDAMAME: Tofu provides 86% of calcium RDI & Edamame provides 10% of calcium RDI. (These are also high in protein and folate).
- -FORTIFIED DRINKS: Non- dairy milk such as almond or soy milk. Soy milk usually provides the greatest amount of calcium at 30% of RDI. Also, fortified orange juice can provide up to 50% of calcium RDI.
- -FIGS: Provide 5% of calcium RDI. (Also high in fiber, antioxidants, potassium & vitamin K).
*RDI is the Recommended Daily Intake