We all know we should do it.
And how do we get started?
There are endless health benefits associated with regular meditation.
Below are just a few great ones!
Meditation can reduce stress, control anxiety, improve emotional health, enhance self-awareness, lengthen attention span, reduce age-related memory loss, help cultivate gratitude, improve mood, help release attachments and/or addictions and more.
How to get started:
- Location is important- find a safe quiet space.
- Start in a comfortable seated posture with legs crossed or straight out in front of you.
- It may help to sit on top of a cushion or yoga block.
- Align your posture by sitting up, allow your shoulders to roll back and down, slight tuck of the chin to align the cervical spine, and close your eyes.
- Place both hands to your belly to draw awareness to the breath.
- Taking deep inhales though the nose, feel the belly rise and deep exhales from the mouth, feel the belly fall.
- Continue even inhales to even exhales.
- Focus on the breath: the sound and the sensation.
- LET GO OF ALL EXPECTATIONS.
- There is no wrong way of meditating.
Consistency is key!
Start with 5 minutes per day. Same time of the day is helpful.