Teen Nutrition Talk
Vitamin C has so many important roles in the human body!
- Antioxidant: Protects against free radical cell damage
- Wound healing: Makes the protein collagen wound repair
- Boosts Immune Function
- Increases absorption of plant-based iron
Daily Recommended Amount
- Teen Boys: 75mg
- Teen Girls: 65mg
Great Food Sources to Provide Vitamin C for your Teen!
- Citrus Fruits: oranges, grapefruit
- Other Fruits: kiwi, mango, strawberries, cantaloupe,
- Vegetables: red & green bell peppers, tomatoes, green leafy vegetables, broccoli
- Beverages Fortified with Vitamin C- Check the nutrition panel to make sure Vitamin C was added!
Don’t Forget- Prolonged cooking and storage often decreases Vitamin C content. Eat these items raw, microwave or steam to receive the most Vitamin C!